Thursday, April 25, 2013

Eating Issues...11 months!

Not even sure where to start with this one. We've had a rough go in the eating department w/ Zara :( 
She started solid foods in January and had major constipation issues. We then revisited solids in March little by little...still the same issues. I was even feeding her all the "p" foods which are supposed to help with digestion. Thankfully, my Aunt Shelley suggested adding flaxseed to her baby food. After some research, I started grinding my own flaxseed and adding a tsp to each of her 3 meals per day. This did the trick! She has been regular for about a month now. 

But it doesn't stop there! Solids were going great and then all the sudden she started biting while nursing...not fun :( I tried everything from tapping her cheek, telling her firmly "no!", positive reinforcement, stopping her feeding session and restarting, etc... This went on for about 2 weeks. She was just biting once every other day, then it started increasing to every single time she nursed. My sister, Brooke, then suggested that she maybe wasn't getting enough milk and that was maybe the cause. Also, Zara was waking up at least 3x a night to eat. I decided to pump and realized that my milk supply was crazy low! I then spent a week doing everything I could to increase my milk supply, which is hard when you have to pump around the clock. Paul and I then decided to introduce whole milk a bit early to help with everything. We waited until she was 11 months old exactly and started adding whole milk to whatever I was able to pump. She's been much happier and has only been waking up once a night. I'm so glad that we finally figured it out and that we have a happy girl again!
Kitana has had lots of fun feeding her sister, and Zara loves to hold the bottle herself. I still make sure she gets lots of cuddle time when eating since she's not nursing anymore. I plan on pumping until she's a year and then I'm done!



Love these pictures of her. They were taken around the time of the other ones, so I just had to include them. 

This was her first taste of real milk. She of course, loved it! She hasn't yet tried something that she didn't like. I have a feeling she's going to be a milk baby just like her sister and daddy!



I can't believe Zara is 11 months! That means she is almost a year...she still seems so baby to me. She still has no interest in pulling herself up on things. We are working on building her standing endurance. She hates it! She would prefer to be sitting all the time. I'm not worried about it, but figure it can't hurt to help her practice a little. Here are some quick pictures I took of her for her 11 month spot in her picture frame :) (She had a bit of a runny nose, but that can be fixed later.)






2 comments:

  1. I love that you can see her two little teeth in the second to bottom pic! She is growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are getting some answers for all these issues. I HATE when they bite...Wes did that too and it drove me crazy. I was not sad one bit when I fed him his last meal, the morning of his first birthday :) I'm so relieved that the flax helped too. She is just such a doll! I love her angelic skin tone. I could just eat her up!!! Can't wait to see her again soon!

    ReplyDelete