Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Kitana and her glasses

Here's the story behind Kitana and her new glasses:
I took Zara to the doctor for her 18 month well baby appointment. I decided to make an appointment for Kitana at the same time since she would be with me anyways and hadn't had a check up for a couple of years. They did all of the routine things and then it came time for her to read the eye chart. The nurse had her cover her left eye and read the chart with her right eye. She was a little hesitant, but got most of them right. Then she covered her right eye and Kitana kept trying to peek out of her covered eye. She said "I can only see the big ones!" I was completely shocked, she had shown no previous signs of vision problems. The nurse said that sometimes the kids get nervous and that it was common for them to get the shapes wrong with the second eye because they are sick of reading off the shapes. She said not to worry about it. Well, I know my kid and she was still behaving really well and honestly could not see the shapes. 
Paul and I tested her that evening and she really was having a hard time seeing with her left eye :( I emailed the Dr and she recommend seeing an eye doctor right away. Turns out, Kitana is far sighted (I'm near sighted, so this was another big shock to me!) which means she has issues seeing up close. Also, I assumed it was only the left eye that had problems, but both eyes needed a prescription with her left eye being much worse. I was instructed to patch her right eye for 2-3 hours a day for the next three months to see if we can get her weaker eye to improve. She picked out her own purple glasses and knew immediately which ones she wanted. She also has a pink pair l that I picked out, but she always wants the purple ones. She got her glasses just a couple of days before Christmas and loves wearing them. She seriously gets compliments ALL the time! She also takes such good care of them. She likes cleaning them and always puts them in their case at night. I've been so proud of her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment